Gingolx


Gingolx (54 ̊59'40" 129 ̊57'15" N side of Nass Bay, NE of Prince Rupert). The Nisga’a First Nation village of Gingolx, long known by its anglicized spelling, Kincolith, was one of 34 place names adopted in 2000 as part of the Nisga’a Treaty. Gingolx means “place of scalps” and refers to a historic battle that took place there with the Haida, after which the scalps of the defeated were hung on poles as a warning. Nass Bay was such a vital source of seafood, especially of eulachon oil, a valuable trade good, that it was often raided by other tribes. The isolated community was founded in 1867 by Anglican missionaries and a breakaway group of Nisga’a from farther up the Nass R. The well-known missionary William Collison and his wife were based there, 1884–1922, and Kincolith was organized on the “model Christian village” style that had proved successful at Metlakatla. Numerous salmon canneries operated on Nass Bay between 1879 and 1942, providing economic stability. Gingolx, population about 300 and only recently connected to the wider world by highway, still makes its livelihood from fishing and still has a strong Anglican presence. Kincolith R (formerly Mission Ck), which flows through Mission Valley to enter Nass Bay here, is now known as Ksi Gingolx. E W

The village of Gingolx (Kincolith) is dominated by its community centre and historic Anglican church. Andrew Scott photo