Camel


CAMEL was used briefly as a pack animal in the Interior in 1862–63. The animals had been used successfully by the military in the American southwest and in 1862 Frank Laumeister imported 24 of them from San Francisco. They went to work packing supplies across the DOUGLAS TRAIL to LILLOOET and up the CARIBOO WAGON ROAD to BARKERVILLE. But their feet proved too soft for the rocky terrain and they spooked the other pack animals, causing several accidents. As a result the camels were sold or turned loose. A mother and calf lived in BEACON HILL PARK in VICTORIA for many years. The last surviving camel on the open range died in 1905. The building used to stable the animals still stands in Lillooet, where for many years it was the town movie theatre.