Granville


GRANVILLE, the original name for VANCOUVER, was a tiny LOGGING community on the south shore of BURRARD INLET. A townsite was surveyed in 1870 next door to the HASTINGS MILL sawmill and named for Lord Granville, the colonial secretary, though locals continued to use its informal name, GASTOWN. In 1885 the CPR announced that Granville would be the western terminus of the transcontinental railway. The next year the burgeoning community was incorporated as the City of Vancouver.