Port Mann


PORT MANN, on the south side of the FRASER R east of NEW WESTMINSTER, was originally called Bon Accord. It was planned to be the Pacific terminus of the CANADIAN NORTHERN RWY, but a townsite laid out in 1911 and named for Donald Mann, one of the railway's principals, did not attract settlement and the terminus moved to VANCOUVER. The site has been used mainly for industry. The Port Mann Bridge, completed in 1964, carries the TRANS-CANADA HWY across the river from SURREY to COQUITLAM and is the main access route from the FRASER VALLEY to the Lower Mainland. In 2012 the original bridge was replaced by new span designed to handle increased traffic and the old bridge was demolished.