Queen Elizabeth Park


QUEEN ELIZABETH PARK (53 ha) is a landscaped oasis of gardens and trees in south VANCOUVER. The highest point in the city (el 152 m), it is known to locals as Little Mountain (also the name of the surrounding neighbourhood), though it was named officially to commemorate the 1939 visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. The park was once the site of two quarries, where stone was obtained for building roads. One of them was converted in 1908 to a city water reservoir, which still perches at the summit of the park. The city purchased the property in 1929 and the park was developed over the next 30 years as the remaining quarry areas were transformed into beautiful sunken gardens. The park also contains tennis courts, a pitch-and-putt golf course and a lawn bowling club. The reservoir and surrounding property were later covered by the Bloedel Conservatory, a 1969 gift to the city from Prentice BLOEDEL and his wife Virginia. Under a Plexiglas geodesic dome 21 m high, the conservatory houses a wide variety of tropical and desert plants, and tropical birds.