Tomslake


TOMSLAKE is a small AGRICULTURAL community 25 km south of DAWSON CREEK near the Alberta border in the PEACE R district. It was founded in 1939 by a group of 518 Sudeten German refugees who had fled their homes in Czechoslovakia to avoid Nazi persecution. They occupied 9,560 ha of rolling bushland belonging to the railway colonization companies. Originally known as Tate Creek, the community took its present name from a nearby lake when a post office opened in 1948.